Wednesday 4 November 2009

Father George Coyne and many musings.

I don't know much about George Coyne, save what I've read on Wikipedia (so it could be argued I don't know anything about him...).

What I do know, however, is that from what little I've seen of him discussing his views on religion, science and philosophy, he's one of the most interesting, insightful and involving people I've ever heard in discussion.

I recommend that everybody, religious or otherwise, watch his fascinating interview with Richard Dawkins on YouTube. It's in seven parts, the first of which can be found at:


(the rest are linked to the side of this one)


What I like most about Coyne is his assimilation of science and belief into one almost completely harmonious whole (I say almost because there are inherently "gaps" in both ways of life). Coyne is an intelligent, scientific man. He's a mathematician and cosmologist and his method of evaluating life is strictly evidence based. And yet, he still has faith. But he recognises it as such; faith.

What made me so engaged in Coyne's argument is that he knows his faith in miracles; in God and Jesus, are based purely on an inner belief. He doesn't attempt to point God out in our world. He doesn't even believe, necessarily, in a God that is all-knowing. Reading into what he says, Coyne offers a fascinating concept of a God who is perhaps unsure and evolving himself; working with what's in his universe to push it towards his vision.

I really like this idea. I don't necessarily believe it, but to me it offers a much more plausible view of God; not the all-knowing creator, but the very essence of this universe. He's not perfect, and he has to work with what is happening around him, but he has the same love for us as the more traditional, perfect creator.

The idea of a perfect, all knowing and all seeing God, is really a very modern concept. A flash in the pan of historical theism. The Gods of Greek mythology, for example, were every bit as human as we are in their desires, tempers and lusts. Most of Greek mythology is based on the idea that the jealousies and schemings of the Gods were acted out here, on the playground that is Earth. And to me, as much as of course I don't believe in Zeus on Mount Olympus, I can see how that view makes sense.

One of the reasons I do not accept religion is because I do not see God's plan in anything around me. That may be a given; perhaps God's plan is "bigger" than me, something I couldn't possibly comprehend. I can't buy that though, and here's why. God has apparently spoken to us through scripture. His demands and desires are very human in their conception: that we love, believe, and obey. If we do this, we're rewarded in eternity. Not so bad, in principle.

And yet, why is the plan so obscure and unknowable? What possible larger schemes could there be? Why is God so human in his desires and yet so divine in his explanation? I know that questioning God is not something that's traditionally held as acceptable; God is God, and that should be enough. And yet, clearly it isn't. The Bible, the Qu'ran: these are books that need interpretation as our society and cultures change, that much is agreed. Most enlightened believers now understand the Creation Myth is just that, or that the teachings of Jesus are not literal but metaphysical, metaphorical and deeper than the words they are contained in.

If that's true doesn't God want us to question, to muse and to interpret? Isn't our free will and ability to analyse a gift that we have no choice but to use to know God? And, if that's the case, how then can we simply obey without question? We cannot, for every rule, every idea, is a million different things to a million different people.

I think one of the problems in the world today is that people give themselves over to God without question. That people angrily tell us we "cannot question" or "cannot dispute" what God has planned. On the contrary, surely we must if we there is anything to learn about God? If God wanted us to know without debate, he could have given us better, more absolute ways to understand. Scripture is riddled with puzzles and nuance; it's not clear. God supposedly spoke to Moses. He could speak to all of us; update us, explain what we must do in plain language to every race and every culture. He has before, so there is no difficulty in doing so again.

Instead we are left with outdated, uncertain, horrendously edited and amended texts that within them supposedly lie the truth (or should I say truths, for there is of course, more than one book of God's word). Surely God's plan is now a needle in a haystack? Isn't it time he helped us again? And not through prayer or suggestion; but as he supposedly helped Moses, or sent Jesus to heal and perform miracles, or as he flooded the Earth to rid it of its malice.

So, if there is a God, I am fairly certain he wants us to question; to probe and analyse. He clearly isn't happy telling us how it works.

And we do probe and analyse. It's called science, and it uncovers ways of working that God did not feel fit to inform us of. Nevertheless that is how the universe works.

Perhaps there is reconciliation here, amongst all these ramblings and confusions. And, to bring this full circle, I think Father George Coyne demonstrates that reconciliation in the most fascinating of ways. This universe works in ways we do not understand, and yet piece by tiny piece we are unlocking those secrets. Perhaps God has given us the ability to question and an infinite playground; of physics, chemistry, biology culture and literature, to play in. If I believed in God I think he'd applaud our questioning and searching. Even if we sometimes don't get it right, we work hard to pave the way for the future generations to.

I think this is what Coyne is trying to tell us. We simply must continue our quest to unlock the way things work; that is our driving purpose. Whether as scientists or scholars; as atheists or believers, we all want the same thing; understanding. Where Coyne differs from me is that he gets to the point of the unknown and simply holds his hands up and says "I have faith". Not evidence, or modern miracles, or the Word of God written clearly and concisely. Coyne simply, deep inside of him, believes in his faith. And that cannot be taken away from him, or given to others.

If there is a God, he's clearly not interested in dictatorship, but instead in leaving us to find our own way. And we're all trying to do that. And I like that idea, it's harmonious. Whether you find your beliefs at the top of the page or the bottom of the test tube we are all potentially doing God's work.

If I was a believer, I'd give myself an Amen to that...

No comments:

Post a Comment